Friday, July 15, 2005
Free's Friday Philosophy
I was just over at J-Rocs reading through his archives as I was interested in a person who thought his blog would not be "my cup of tea" since I'm the type of person that is interested in all kinds of people and who they are. I guess that doesn't really show through in what I write here.

He was talking of his father in the biographical archive about how much he misses his father and that made me remember. God, I miss my dad too. How I would've loved to share my adult life with him. He was tall, lanky, smart, funny and he could eat anything and not gain an ounce of weight. I received a call from my mom that he was in the hospital and that it was probably ok and that I didn't need to come home right away. We lived in Louisville, Ky at the time and they were about 4 1/2 hrs away in northern Indiana. So my husband and I went about our business on that Friday night. They were supposed to have visited us that very weekend. We had so much fun together, my husband, my dad, my mom and I. The next day she called and said we needed to come right away, that he had a stroke. So I just put some stuff in a bag, I can't even remember what it was I was so afraid. We we were speeding the entire way to the hospital and when we got there, none of my family was there. The nurses took me aside and told me that he had passed from a brain aneurysm, he was only 53. Oh my god, I couldn't believe it. I just can't tell you how lost I felt at that moment.

Looking back some years later, I was so happy that he had been there to walk me down the isle, every little girls dream. A wedding is so much more than marrying the person you love, it's about moving into a new relationship with your parents as an adult as well.

Thanks J-Roc for taking me back. This Friday's for you.


2 Comments:

Blogger j-roc said...

Hey Miss Free -

Thanks for letting me part of your alpha waves today.

Sounds like we're simpatico on the Missing Father front. Sorry.

Sorry also for judging too quickly your own open-mindedness. I think I read something in one of your posts which mentioned church - that's like a red flag for me and I made a snap judgment.

Thanks for reading and commenting.

I like to think that I compensate for my judgmental nature by always being open to admitting I was incorrect in my assumptions.

So there ya go, Freebird.

Peace,

J

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Free, you write such wonderful posts. That was excellent.

Glad to have you on my 'places to visit' list.

Post a Comment

<< Home