Monday, August 08, 2005
Just a Sunday Ride

D and I took a ride yesterday. We hop in the car and take off with no specific plan in mind.

We used to do this when I was kid. My parents, four brothers and I, all piled into the wood paneled station wagon and head off, destination unknown (in my mind anyway). We would cruise for wild aspargus growing on the sides of the road. If you know what it looks like, you'd be surpised how much there is growing wild. We would also pull off and hunt for wild rasberry and blackberry patches. My mom and dad always seemed to know the right time to pick. There's nothing better that blackberry jam on a homemade biscuit.

We ended up at the Mansfield Reformatory where "The Shawshank Redemption" was filmed. We just missed the tours and would've had to wait around for an hour and half before the next ones started, so we just walked the grounds outside. We want to go back for a Ghost Tour they sponsor, which involves an overnight stay.


2 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

As long as you hadn't been sent to the jail for 10 years!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice day, but I'm fixated on "wild asparagus"...that grows in Ohio? I had no idea!

Post a Comment

<< Home